Skip to main content

Spark Birds - and Other Sparks

I was trolling through some of the regional outdoor blogs I post on getoutzine.com and came upon this one, from Bird Watcher's Digest: Spark Bird. It's a great concept: what bird sparked your interest in your lifelong pursuit of bird watching?

I knew my answer immediately. When I lived in Colorado, I spent many an afternoon cycling on the roads where the high plains meet the Rocky Mountains. I wasn't a birder at all. Nor was I much interested in the world around me except to play in it. But there was this beautiful - beautiful! - bird song that demanded I listen. Now I am demanding, or at least requesting, that you listen.

Every time I jerked my helmeted head around to see where this song was coming from, a bird with a yellow breast with a big black V was sitting there on the fence. Could spotting it get any easier than that? I borrowed a friend's Peterson's Guide to Western birds and there it was - the Western meadowlark. Now I am only a backyard birder, but the many hours I spend at my desk are happily interrupted by looking at the birds poking around outside. I don't have a life list, but I do have a house list. A serious backyard birder, you could say.

I can also remember the first time I went rock climbing (Pepsi Rocks, Athens, OH), the first time I went whitewater rafting (The Yough, Ohiopyle, PA) and the first time I went backpacking (Dolly Sods, WV). These were all sparks that began a lifetime pursuit of serious outdoor adventure.

Don't underestimate the power of the spark. When you have the opportunity, introduce your favorite outdoor adventure sport to friends and family. Think ahead: if you take them to a beautiful place with nice conditions (spring wildflowers, fall colors), the experience just might spark them to become avid outdoor adventurers. In reverse, a not-so-nice place (proximity isn't everything) during not-so-nice conditions (freezing cold, oppressive heat, mosquitoes) may just turn them off for a lifetime. Choose wisely.

What was your spark? Share it at the Get Out! trip report.

Comments

Nice post, thanks for sharing... , thanks ya
Weight Loss Natural
Chrita Herzog said…
Dr.Christa Herzog

http://www.successfullifechange.com

Thank you for posting this article. It is very helpful and interesting.
Very effective post,,,,,,,,,,,,,thanks
Thanks for your posting and I want let you know that UNIQUE SCROLL CARDS is scroll wedding cards, wedding invitations cards, scroll wedding invitations, hindu wedding cards, Designer Wedding Cards Manufacturer & Exporter from INDIA. will receive better services.
Thanks for your posting and I want let you know that Dhruv impex is manufacturer of Silver Toggles, Gold Plated Beads, Micro Pave Jewelry, copper beads findings, silver findings, Micro Setting Jewelry, Jaipur India
Thanks for your posting and I want let you know that Buy Stylish Womens Jewelry, Mens Jewelry And Kids Jewelry Online And In Stores. women's jewelry See More Women'S Jewelry Including Charms And Fine Jewelry From Bijoux.
act tutors said…
A strong ACT score is one of the most important criteria used by college admissions officers. Mind Spire is ACT prep tutoring, which is the best way to give your child a substantial advantage on test day.
"Thanks for Nice Posting.
Kankurgachi MAAC Institute provides Diploma in animation."
Hi, Nice to see you article. SMPL is manufacturer and Exporter of Transformer Tank, Oil Storage Tanks , cricket Pitch Roller, Transformer Body.

Popular posts from this blog

Gear a Year Later

The problem with gear reviews is that, with a brand new piece of gear, you can’t apply perhaps the most important test: the test of time. I’d like to re-review a selection of products from the last couple of years to report how they’ve fared: The Good MBT anti-shoe . After a year, this shoe looks practically new and still provides a supportive, comfortable stride for my (often aching) back. Worth the $250 you’ll have to kick down if you’re willing to take care of these shoes. Sierra Designs Spark 15 sleeping bag . I had sworn off Sierra Designs after purchasing a raincoat from the company that was neither waterproof nor breathable – in fact, it was the first thing to get soaked and the last thing to dry out – which I found out the hard way, hiking the Colorado Trail. But the Spark was the only 800-fill down bag I could find at the time of purchase, so I went for it. Turns out Sierra Designs knows what they’re doing with sleeping bags. This bag is so warm I’ve dubbed it The Furnace. ...

My First Camping Partner: My Dad (RIP)

What’s your first memory of camping? There’s a good chance that it’s a memory from your childhood, a camping trip with your family. It’s not lost on me that I am very lucky to tell you I had been camping in Joshua Tree, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Mono Lake, Bryce Canyon and the Grand Canyon by the time I was 10 years old. My parents – my dad led the charge – took nine (nine!) kids to national parks for summer vacation every year. When we moved East, we eventually made it everywhere from Acadia to the Everglades. While ours was the typical drive-the-motor-home-to-the-sign-and-take-a-picture family, it was these camping beginnings that set me on my way to outdoor adventure sports in adulthood. When my dad and I took a trip to Alaska together, he lost 11 pounds without trying – I was an adult by then and insisted on actually mountain biking and hiking. I don’t need to tell you – though I have in many of these pages – the benefits of outdoor adventure sports. The importance of skills a young...