Skip to main content

What's in a Name?

Note: Material this entry refers to might offend.

One of the small pleasures of rock climbing is coming across that perfect climb name – one that cleverly describes the route (Totally Clips, Handsome and Well Hung) or the experience you can expect to have on the climb (Just Say Yo to Jugs, Not on the First Date, Mid-Height Crisis) or just has a fun reference (Where’s the Beef and Where’s the Bolt, Jimi Cliff, etc.)

One of the not-so-small displeasures is coming across the far too many misogynistic names of climbs. So what to do? I’ve begun renaming these climbs – I just cross out the old name in my book and my friends and I come up with a new name – and I invite you to join me. And be sure to tell other climbers, guidebook authors, publishers and especially the dudes who names these climbs that it’s not funny to name a climb that attempts to degrade half of the world’s population (although the name really reflects on the person who named it that). Funny is funny, even when it’s sick. Not funny and offensive is just plain offensive.

A sampling of the original and renamed climbs in my guidebooks:

LOCATION: Cooper’s Rock, WV
OLD NAME: Man Eating Bitch
NEW NAME: I’m Still Bitter About the Most Recent Relationship I F--- Up

LOCATION: Red River Gorge, KY
OLD NAME: Pussy Whipped
NEW NAME: My Buddy Likes His Girlfriend More Than He Likes Me (And I Can’t Figure Out Why)

LOCATION: Iron Gate, VA
OLD NAME: Dead Girls Don’t Say No
NEW NAME: Dead Guys Can’t Rape

LOCATION: Summersville Lake, WV
OLD NAME: Long Dong Silver
NEW NAME: I Am Not Compensating for Anything, Really

LOCATION: New River Gorge, WV
OLD NAME: Pocket Pussy
NEW NAME: Hey, Why Don’t More Chicks Climb?

Here are a few you can take a stab at:

Gang Bang (New River Gorge)
Domestic Violence (Red River Gorge)
Wet Ho’s (Coopers Rock)

Comments

cindy said…
I love this post, Mary! Hilarious! You rock!

Here's my shot at it:
Old Name: Wet Ho’s
New Name: I can't be with a grown woman because I'm inappropriately attached to my mother
Anonymous said…
Great blog, Mary Reed!
Here are my suggestions:
Gang Bang - Hell, I'll take consensual sex with one person any day!
Domestic Violence - I Don't Get Mad, I get Even!
Wet Ho's - Strong Swimmin' Women!
The Cat's Meow said…
Mary, this is an excellent post! Yes, I have too noticed the misogynistic trend of the backpacker's world.... I can't think of any clever names to replace the rock climbs, but I can remember going backpacking at Isle Royale National Park in Lake Superior a few years ago, and my grrrlfriend and I noticed how often the men we met offered their unsolicited advice or expressed their concern that we just didn't know what we were doing for the two weeks we were out in the wild.

One man insisted that we hadn't carried enough food or gear, although we had plenty and were highly prepared and experienced campers and hikers. Another group of military dudes was camping near us, and they went out of their way to offer to set up our tent, to pump our water filters, etc. Although we appreciated their chivalry, we were annoyed at their assumptions of our incompetence. Poetic justice prevailed when they were choking down their nasty MREs while we were cooking up a fab gourmet meal of italian pesto pasta, garlic, olive oil and sundried tomatoes..... we decided that we should start up an alternative organic dried foods company called "Trail Babes' Tender Vittles."
Horoscop said…
this is an awesome post!!
it would be so funny if it would was so sad..
my suggestion:
OLD NAME: Dead Girls Don’t Say No
NEW NAME: 90% of men have sexual issues

OLD NAME: Gang Bang
NEW NAME: I love men

Popular posts from this blog

Gear a Year Later

The problem with gear reviews is that, with a brand new piece of gear, you can’t apply perhaps the most important test: the test of time. I’d like to re-review a selection of products from the last couple of years to report how they’ve fared: The Good MBT anti-shoe . After a year, this shoe looks practically new and still provides a supportive, comfortable stride for my (often aching) back. Worth the $250 you’ll have to kick down if you’re willing to take care of these shoes. Sierra Designs Spark 15 sleeping bag . I had sworn off Sierra Designs after purchasing a raincoat from the company that was neither waterproof nor breathable – in fact, it was the first thing to get soaked and the last thing to dry out – which I found out the hard way, hiking the Colorado Trail. But the Spark was the only 800-fill down bag I could find at the time of purchase, so I went for it. Turns out Sierra Designs knows what they’re doing with sleeping bags. This bag is so warm I’ve dubbed it The Furnace.

Spark Birds - and Other Sparks

I was trolling through some of the regional outdoor blogs I post on getoutzine.com and came upon this one, from Bird Watcher's Digest: Spark Bird . It's a great concept: what bird sparked your interest in your lifelong pursuit of bird watching ? I knew my answer immediately. When I lived in Colorado, I spent many an afternoon cycling on the roads where the high plains meet the Rocky Mountains. I wasn't a birder at all. Nor was I much interested in the world around me except to play in it. But there was this beautiful - beautiful! - bird song that demanded I listen. Now I am demanding, or at least requesting, that you listen . Every time I jerked my helmeted head around to see where this song was coming from, a bird with a yellow breast with a big black V was sitting there on the fence. Could spotting it get any easier than that? I borrowed a friend's Peterson's Guide to Western birds and there it was - the Western meadowlark. Now I am only a backyard birder, but the