Skip to main content

Trail Angels

While thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail, my friend Greg willed an amazing thing. He wanted to get to the nearest town and he said, “At the next road crossing, a blond in a convertible is going to pick me up and take me town.” Guess what. You got it – Greg stuck out his thumb and a blond in a convertible picked up him and took him to town. That, my friends, is trail magic.


People who hike the legendary AT know a thing or two about trail magic. It occurs thanks to trail angels – those random people who help hikers by offering them rides, food, drink, sometimes even a place to stay.


I think back on a lot of people who have helped me through the years. There was the woman who yelled words encouragement from her car when I was completing a triathlon (something to the effect of You Go, Girl!); the many other rock climbers who have shared ropes with my team on a rappel; the people who have picked me/us up when trying to return to our car after a backpacking trip; and, of course, the people who have hosted me, like the woman I met on a Mexican bus. My hosts are often a friend of a friend or even a stranger, thanks to Hospitality Club. Hospitality Club, Warm Showers, CouchSurfing and the like (see this month’s feature at www.getoutzine.com/node/450) are web-based communities where people connect to host and be hosted by others, all for free.


I also think back to fun encounters where I was the host – no, make that angel: providing a bed, shower and meal to a cross-country cyclist; picking up an evangelical Christian hitchhiker (that’s another blog altogether); hosting a couple and their dog who were thru-hiking the American Discovery Trail.


When I tell people about Hospitality Club and Warm Showers, I tend to get one of two responses: 1) Great! Sign me up; or 2) Isn’t that dangerous?


Life’s dangerous, but not as dangerous as our fear-mongering society would have it. We all have different comfort levels, so I wouldn’t push anyone to go too far beyond theirs. But I do encourage you to help your fellow adventurer. In my opinion (and experience), you’ve got to just stack the odds in your favor and go for it. I like how Roy Willman, a Hospitality Club member featured in the story, describes himself: “Open and unafraid, tempered with caution.” He scopes out potential guests by “looking at it with both your heart and your head.”


Words to live by.


Sign up here: www.warmshowers.org, www.hospitalityclub.org, www.couchsurfing.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spark Birds - and Other Sparks

I was trolling through some of the regional outdoor blogs I post on getoutzine.com and came upon this one, from Bird Watcher's Digest: Spark Bird . It's a great concept: what bird sparked your interest in your lifelong pursuit of bird watching ? I knew my answer immediately. When I lived in Colorado, I spent many an afternoon cycling on the roads where the high plains meet the Rocky Mountains. I wasn't a birder at all. Nor was I much interested in the world around me except to play in it. But there was this beautiful - beautiful! - bird song that demanded I listen. Now I am demanding, or at least requesting, that you listen . Every time I jerked my helmeted head around to see where this song was coming from, a bird with a yellow breast with a big black V was sitting there on the fence. Could spotting it get any easier than that? I borrowed a friend's Peterson's Guide to Western birds and there it was - the Western meadowlark. Now I am only a backyard birder, but the...

Gear a Year Later

The problem with gear reviews is that, with a brand new piece of gear, you can’t apply perhaps the most important test: the test of time. I’d like to re-review a selection of products from the last couple of years to report how they’ve fared: The Good MBT anti-shoe . After a year, this shoe looks practically new and still provides a supportive, comfortable stride for my (often aching) back. Worth the $250 you’ll have to kick down if you’re willing to take care of these shoes. Sierra Designs Spark 15 sleeping bag . I had sworn off Sierra Designs after purchasing a raincoat from the company that was neither waterproof nor breathable – in fact, it was the first thing to get soaked and the last thing to dry out – which I found out the hard way, hiking the Colorado Trail. But the Spark was the only 800-fill down bag I could find at the time of purchase, so I went for it. Turns out Sierra Designs knows what they’re doing with sleeping bags. This bag is so warm I’ve dubbed it The Furnace. ...

My First Camping Partner: My Dad (RIP)

What’s your first memory of camping? There’s a good chance that it’s a memory from your childhood, a camping trip with your family. It’s not lost on me that I am very lucky to tell you I had been camping in Joshua Tree, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Mono Lake, Bryce Canyon and the Grand Canyon by the time I was 10 years old. My parents – my dad led the charge – took nine (nine!) kids to national parks for summer vacation every year. When we moved East, we eventually made it everywhere from Acadia to the Everglades. While ours was the typical drive-the-motor-home-to-the-sign-and-take-a-picture family, it was these camping beginnings that set me on my way to outdoor adventure sports in adulthood. When my dad and I took a trip to Alaska together, he lost 11 pounds without trying – I was an adult by then and insisted on actually mountain biking and hiking. I don’t need to tell you – though I have in many of these pages – the benefits of outdoor adventure sports. The importance of skills a young...