Skip to main content

Affordable Health Care

I have a bad back from a mountain biking injury I sustained when I was 21. Every so often, the problem really flares up. Right now, for example. (Two words: vitamin I.) During the month of May, I traveled to three events on behalf of Get Out! and when I wasn’t driving, I was sitting in front of the computer. I supposedly prioritize my health, so I make sure to get some sort of exercise a day, even if it’s walking uptown (about a 15 minute walk from my home in the small college town of Athens, OH) and back.

The problem is, a half hour walk cannot undo the *entire rest of the day* spent in front of a computer. The result? I haven’t ridden my bike in two weeks and I had to cancel (postpone!) a climbing trip to The New last week. So much for prioritizing my health.

I have a friend who is also an entrepreneur. He’s gained 40 pounds in the last couple of years. He doctor recently told him he’s pre-diabetic, which is really, really bad news no matter how you look at it. He’s cut out the beer, but still isn’t getting any substantial exercise.

Exercise. It’s something a lot of people don’t enjoy. If exercise means going to the gym, I don’t enjoy it either. I don’t even like yoga. It’s usually inside and it’s kinda boring. I enjoy hiking, biking, looking a wildflowers, taking pictures, rock climbing, canoeing and other things like mountain climbing. The great part is that I get exercise while I’m doing these things. I love it when a plan comes together!

It’s not only ironic that my activity level has decreased since launching a webzine about outdoor adventure, but it’s also not acceptable. So I am squirming through this period of inactivity to get myself back to the point when I can go on some super long-ass hikes, bike rides and climbing trips. And then I am making a promise to myself to not get this inactive again. I thought I “couldn’t afford” to take time away from the magazine to get out and have fun. Turns out, I can’t afford not to. Neither can you.

I hope the destinations, clubs and events on our site will inspire you to get out and take care of yourself. For some of us, it’s the only affordable health care we’ve got.


-Mary

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spark Birds - and Other Sparks

I was trolling through some of the regional outdoor blogs I post on getoutzine.com and came upon this one, from Bird Watcher's Digest: Spark Bird . It's a great concept: what bird sparked your interest in your lifelong pursuit of bird watching ? I knew my answer immediately. When I lived in Colorado, I spent many an afternoon cycling on the roads where the high plains meet the Rocky Mountains. I wasn't a birder at all. Nor was I much interested in the world around me except to play in it. But there was this beautiful - beautiful! - bird song that demanded I listen. Now I am demanding, or at least requesting, that you listen . Every time I jerked my helmeted head around to see where this song was coming from, a bird with a yellow breast with a big black V was sitting there on the fence. Could spotting it get any easier than that? I borrowed a friend's Peterson's Guide to Western birds and there it was - the Western meadowlark. Now I am only a backyard birder, but the...

Gear a Year Later

The problem with gear reviews is that, with a brand new piece of gear, you can’t apply perhaps the most important test: the test of time. I’d like to re-review a selection of products from the last couple of years to report how they’ve fared: The Good MBT anti-shoe . After a year, this shoe looks practically new and still provides a supportive, comfortable stride for my (often aching) back. Worth the $250 you’ll have to kick down if you’re willing to take care of these shoes. Sierra Designs Spark 15 sleeping bag . I had sworn off Sierra Designs after purchasing a raincoat from the company that was neither waterproof nor breathable – in fact, it was the first thing to get soaked and the last thing to dry out – which I found out the hard way, hiking the Colorado Trail. But the Spark was the only 800-fill down bag I could find at the time of purchase, so I went for it. Turns out Sierra Designs knows what they’re doing with sleeping bags. This bag is so warm I’ve dubbed it The Furnace. ...

My First Camping Partner: My Dad (RIP)

What’s your first memory of camping? There’s a good chance that it’s a memory from your childhood, a camping trip with your family. It’s not lost on me that I am very lucky to tell you I had been camping in Joshua Tree, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Mono Lake, Bryce Canyon and the Grand Canyon by the time I was 10 years old. My parents – my dad led the charge – took nine (nine!) kids to national parks for summer vacation every year. When we moved East, we eventually made it everywhere from Acadia to the Everglades. While ours was the typical drive-the-motor-home-to-the-sign-and-take-a-picture family, it was these camping beginnings that set me on my way to outdoor adventure sports in adulthood. When my dad and I took a trip to Alaska together, he lost 11 pounds without trying – I was an adult by then and insisted on actually mountain biking and hiking. I don’t need to tell you – though I have in many of these pages – the benefits of outdoor adventure sports. The importance of skills a young...